- I have a germ of an idea, share it with my family, and they say "Meh."
- I write down the germ, still convinced it has promise. I assume I just wasn't able to communicate how cool the idea was to my family. Plus, they are notoriously hard to impress.
- I leave the written-down germ in a notebook for an indefinite period of time (in this case, about a year).
- I get inspired one day to write the first page (more on this below).
- I file the first page away for an indefinite period of time (in this case, about six months).
- I find the first page while I'm looking for something else and decide it's really worth working up.
- I start outlining, get halfway through and say "Meh."
About the first page thing...
The way it works is I get and idea for a story and an environment and characters and whatnot, and then, all of a sudden, one day I'll get a flash and write an introductory page that sets the voice and tone and character for the whole piece. It actually works pretty well - I've got four or five sitting around now, just waiting for me to grit my teeth and finish an outline...
More to come,